Saturday, June 30, 2012

20things : Dream Cake


1. In my dream there was cake. 

2. Dream cake is better because you can eat as much as you want and not get sick or fat.

3. I should mention it was in a ballroom or banquet hall with small clothed tables, each set with a tiered cake.

4. The cakes like small castles constellating the room. I walked carefully, afraid I was going to tilt into one of them and knock it over.

5. Along a long wall, in front of a bay window, was the biggest cake. It looked, perhaps, like a wedding cake to feed overflowing guest list.

6. It was taller than me. No way could I touch that top tier.

7. The icing was sort of a champagne color, and there were sugar bows (the color of hammered brass) rivering up and down. 

8. I didn't say it was pretty, just impressive.

9. The piping was also impressive.

10. And then a waiter came, magician-like and tugged the corner of the cake (I was beginning to see the illusion)...

11. ... and whipped it off like a blanket, to unveil a coffin.

12. The bottom tier of this cake was in fact a coffin.

13. I read the script on the side. My mother's coffin. 

14. I turned to my mother and instead of asking why have you picked out your coffin already or why have you picked out such an ugly coffin I observed your name is spelled wrong. They left out half the letters in your name. She has a long first name.

15. She kept her usual stubborn, impassive face on. 

16. I was like, Mom, you gotta send it back.

17. She did not puff her lower lip out, but if she were a child, she would have.

18. She just said it doesn't matter what it's spelled like and huffed off.

19. I turned away from her. What else could I say? After all, this had happened so many times before.

20. I wish I could state that then I went and sampled the other, more cake-like cakes. After all, dream cake is so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment