Tuesday, June 26, 2012

20things : Proofreading

1. I am trying to proofread the manuscript this morning.

2. I go through this at least once a month and still find things out of place.

3. I am working from home. I work from home now. Or coffee shops. But right now home.

4. Wrong verbs.

5. There's a thin line between revision and proofreading. I cross and recross it.

6. Somewhere in this four-story house a smoke alarm is low on batteries.

7. The poem is never done.

8. I have trouble letting things go. I get too attached.

9. Each time it chirps I can feel the sound actually reverberate in my head.

10. I wouldn't say I'm a word hoarder or anything. Perhaps verbose.

11. One cat whines for food. One cat is trying to quietly destroy something in the next room.

12. Chirp.

13. Why does it say "no section break" when I meant to write "no stanza break?" Section?

14. Mike says the offending alarm is in the attic but I went to the attic to collect some papers and you can't hear it from up there.

15. My work area, with the big monitor, is down here. The one I can most easily see from. Still ... how am I finding all these mistakes?

16. It's like each revision washes away the previous efforts at proofreading.

17. The cat who whines for food has now gained the top of the filing cabinet. In my blindest spot. He means to jump quietly but sends books and papers into the furthest corner behind my desk, where it hurts to bend and reach.

18. My hips are iffy this morning. How am I so--

19. Chirp. Meow.

20. Next page.


No comments:

Post a Comment