Monday, July 16, 2012

20things : car

1. I was there and he wasn't.
2. I was in the middle of the street and so was he.
3. I would say three paces separated us.
4. He'd turned left on red. The light had been red for several seconds with no car activity.
5. What O&M people taught me to refer to as an "all quiet."
6. I didn't even hear the -- how did I not hear the engine?
7. The city is all engine.
8. It was a T intersection. The cross-street was one-way left.
9. The traffic light's only options are a red light and a left turning arrow.
10. So if you are walking you have to walk on red or else you get people turning in front of you.
11. They are affronted if you try to go. So, walk on red.
12. But the cross street is one way away from me. It dead-ends. There should be no cars in my path when the light is red.
13. Granted the intersection is confusing. For pedestrians.
14. But for cars there are two options: red light or green turning arrow.
15. The light was red. I started crossing. No arrow.
16. And then flash.
17. Yes I was using the cane I can hear someone carping were you using the cane I use it all the time now.
17. (Funny how it's my dad's voice I hear when.)
19. It was like shoomph there-was-your-almost-death shoomph.
20. He was on his way to another red light and didn't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment