Monday, September 10, 2012

Another clarification


Ah yes, ladies and gentlemen, you've been waiting for it. At last... drunk blogging. Those of you who know me well may wonder how it was I come to have never drunkenly blogged before. Ahem. Anyway here's how it happened: 1) I got some good poetry related news 2) I'm a total lightweight. 3) No, no one has accepted the MS yet; it wasn't that. 4) But I will share it tomorrow.

I just wanted to clarify something from my previous post this morning. I've been feeling badly all day about the implications of this statement. Earlier today I wrote:

I could never do this for someone. Starve them. Even if they begged. Not starving. Not withholding life / water / food. It's too cruel. I couldn't do what my aunt is doing right now. But the situation is different, maybe. To not-starve my mother would take colossal positive action, defiance of her immense gravity, her intense sadness that no one acknowledges but surrounds her like an aura. 

I just want to clarify. What my aunt is doing is not the same thing that the woman in I Helped My Mom Starve is doing. Those of you who haven't been following closely along might have missed the fact that starving is what can basically happen when one refuses treatment for severe gastroparesis. This was my mom's choice, and AFAIK, she made that all by herself; there was nothing anyone could do or say about it.

The aunt and uncle who take care of my mother and my grandmother (who is in her nineties) are WONDERFUL people, who are doing an insanely tough job because right now they don't have much of a choice. They are doing, out of familial kindness, a thing I could not do. I could not care for my mom in this situation. Could not. Because of what it would do to me psychologically. My aunt is there for my mom; my uncle too.

Just wanted to underline that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment