Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It wasn't a lifestyle choice; I was born bi-visual (pt. 1)

Okay, this is gonna be an epic blog entry. First, two things. Wait, three. First thing)) this is who I have sitting in my lap as I type.



It's Luna, my youngest. Isn't she adorable? She likes to recline with her lower half and then cling to my boobs with her front paws (claws, really). Ouch. But it's nice to have such a supportive friend around when confronting heady topics on one's blog, such as this concept which I have termed for short-hand purposes, bi-visuality. It's Cathy Kudlick's term. I'll say more about her later in part 2 or 3. You know I've been exploring this same concept. What I've found out over the weekend is that there are many blind people doing the same. I read a stat that 85% of blind people who use white canes have some usable vision. I think I got that right. I'm sure about the number at least. Bad academic --I'm not going back to re-locate and document my source.

Second thing)) waiting for my cane and angsting over the vicissitudes of bi-visuality, I found out that there's a list of blind bloggers. I added a link so you can see who they are too! I thought, when I found it, this may be the beginning of the support I'm looking for. And then I promptly "forgot" about it.

You see I have this avoidance problem. Sometimes it manifests as "I forgot." Am I making sense so far? I'm only on my starter coffee, and the adorable kitty that I snapped just moments before is now dismantling the dining room piece by tiny piece, and I'm distracted putting all this effort into ignoring her.

Third thing)) NEW DEFINING EXAMPLE OF IRONY : Yesterday I was practicing another one of my avoidance strategies, procrastination, and I was procrastinating going outside. Some days I just don't have the psychic energy in me to deal with the strangers who make my life-with-cane difficult. And it was raining. And I was doing a LOT of house chores. But I still was feeling bad about myself for not going out. Calling myself bad names indeed. And so, looking for some internet support / advice  I googled  "white cane" "social anxiety." The third and fourth hits were THIS BLOG. I was like really? Universe? Really? 


In Part 2, I finally get my new cane... and wish it came with better-than-IKEA-quality instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment