Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On the potential assets of vulnerability

I know this blog post gets a bit long. First I summarize the salient points of her talk, and then I talk about why they are important to me.


Brené Brown is a social worker / anthropologist / ethnographer who studies the connections between people, why and how they happen. She specializes in studying shame and vulnerability. I didn't think anyone had ever studied that, but I was interested to listen. In this talk she sort of explains how she came to study these topics and the most important information she has gleaned on them, from doing thousands of interviews with people. I invite you to go listen to the talk before or after reading this blog entry, or bookmark it if you don't have the time. The quotes here are just-about-right-but-maybe-not-exactly. I was typing pretty fast because transcribing from her talk.

So she started off her doctoral work interviewing people about their human connections.

"When I asked people about connection, the stories they told me were about disconnection." 

These interviews gave her the opposite data than she expected. "I found something that totally unraveled the idea of connection for me, and that was shame. Shame is the fear of disconnection. The idea that underpinned shame was excruciating vulnerability. In order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen."

So in her research, she set out to "deconstruct" shame and the idea of vulnerability. 

"If I roughly took the people I interviewed.. and divided them into people who .. have a sense of worthiness ... a strong sense of love and belonging ... and folks who always wonder if they are good enough... there was only one variable that separated [those people]  people who have a strong sense of love and belonging ... believe they are worthy of love and belonging."

She examined all the interviews of the people who were living with a strong sense that they are worthy and wanted to figure out how they did that. She described these people as "wholehearted." The three characteristics of wholehearted people she enumerated as "Courage, compassion, connection. The original definition of courage being, not a synonym for bravery, but to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart. The courage to be imperfect. The compassion to be kind to themselves first, and then to others... They had connection as a result of authenticity." The fourth thing they had in common was that they "fully embraced vulnerability. What made them vulnerable made them beautiful." 

OKAY HERE'S WHERE I COME IN:

This talk really hits home for me, especially right about now. I still have to force myself to go outside using my white cane. Yesterday the light was such that I could almost convince myself I didn't really need the cane. It wasn't searingly bright; it wasn't dark; it wasn't raining. I could have just gone out without it. Never mind the street crossings, people on bicycles, endless and different-every day construction that forces me to walk in the street and off the sidewalk on our hill, which cars just fly up and down at a high rate of speed. I thought, "I am not going to make it outside today if I have to use this f*ing cane."

But I told myself, I PLEDGED to myself that if I was going to start using it, I would use it full time, as I had originally been using it in Columbus. Why did I do that? Well for starters, probably because I knew it would be too easy to "take back" my vow if I didn't put that clause in it. I'm very good at rationalizing what I don't want to deal with. Secondly, it would allow consistency in my own brain and the brains of others. The idea here is to not only incorporate the cane for practical reasons but integrate it into my overall identity. If I'm able to say, "oh, but not today," then my progress, as a person, would stay where it's been for the last x-number of years. I would not be accepting a fundamental part of myself. 

And that's where the shame comes in. I have a *lot* of shame about my body. The disability stuff is only the half of it. And using the cane is basically taking that festering shame sore, or whatever, and rubbing gravel into it. Like HERE I AM WORLD, SHOWING OFF MY SHAME.

Not that I intellectually think I should be ashamed of having a disability. The opposite actually. All my parts, even the broken ones, are a part of me. I would not be me without them. I'd be some other girl.

It's just that I got so many messages as a child that I should be ashamed. I don't think the people sending the messages meant to indicate that I should have shame, but that was the lesson that got communicated. 

Here's an example: You are just like everyone else and you can do everything that a normal kid does.

The goal of this person / people was probably to encourage independence in me, to foster self-esteem. The thing is, I wasn't just like everyone else. I couldn't do everything that a normal kid did. But I tried. And failed. And felt shitty about it. And failed again. And again. And again. And the other kids made fun of me and let me know just how absolutely I was failing. So there were two subconscious lessons that my brain took in here. 1) You suck at being normal and 2) It is better to be normal than being what you know deep down you are.

There was a part in the talk where Brown speaks of how her research was affecting her personal life. She likes to control and quantify, so she was devastated at first when she found out that the issue of vulnerability was at the core of her research. And she said something like [paraphrasing here], "You know the kind of people who find out that they have an issue with vulnerability and they just decide to surrender and walk into it? Well, I'm not like that. Furthermore, I don't even hang out with people like that."

That's me. I've been told by some very good, smart people whose opinions I respect that the way to get through shame is to allow myself to be vulnerable and I'm like F*** THAT.

I know I've been going on about this blog and "radical openness" and all that. But it's a freaking slog to be radically open. I hate it. It does not come naturally. I am private. I am guarded. I am mistrustful. I have some anger management issues. And a big Sword of Damocles sized anxiety hovering over me if not at all, then at most times.

Today I have a job interview. It's for a job that I've been chasing for nearly a year now. It's with a good organization that I really believe in. I'm having paranoid thoughts though:

a) even though there has been no indication of this being a factor, they will somehow decide that, because of my visual impairment, I am unfit to do this job;
b) that I will have an attack of fibro fog in the middle of the interview and start losing words, getting flustered, losing more words. The cats kept me up all last night cos Mike wasn't home. So I didn't sleep well. I'm pounding the caffeine. I used to be GREAT in interviews. Charming. Charismatic. Genuine. Now today I worry I will show myself as genuinely unable to have a conversation.
c) That they will google me (I bet all bosses or potential bosses do this now), find this blog, and tell me to shut it down or I can't have the job. 

I am praying that these thoughts have no merit to them. Because part of me is like, "Yes Brené Brown! [and other people who tell me this stuff] You are amazing! Your work is amazing! You are right! I need to let myself be vulnerable and authentic and live whole heartedly, etc." 

But the world doesn't work like that. Overall, it doesn't. And she addresses this in the second half of her talk. She addresses it, but there's no solution except for everyone to decide that "genuine" is the way to live. At the top of Corporate Reasons to Not Be Genuine is profit. Second on that list is Covering Your Ass. So my mistrustful side and my trying-to-heal side are going at it. In my head. Especially today.

Please send me some good energy so I can deal with whatever happens.

4 comments:

  1. I am guessing its a bit late to send the good energies for the interview, but i'll send some just the same. Hope all went well for you.

    Allowing yourself to be vulnerable is hard. I have gotten somewhat better over the years at admitting any sort of weakness or imperfection about my self or life. I'm not sure why i'm like that. I've always been very private, too. I sometimes cringe when others are so open about certain things, no matter how superficial, like even just about financial stuff. I stayed in a shitty marriage for years just because i didn't want to admit to anyone that it was a shitty marriage and i was unhappy... maybe these types of things have something to do with vulnerability.

    I love TED Talks... i'll definitely give this one a listen/watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this will help or just make more things clang around unpleasantly in your head...but...when we were kids (well, when we met and became friends I think we were 11 years old)...*I* thought that "you were just like everyone else and could do everything that a normal kid did." That didn't come from ME...It came from YOU. It wasn't anything you said, it was what you didn't say. It was how you carried yourself and how you acted. I'm not even sure who originally told me about your vision. I know I learned fairly early on in our friendship and that I have this vague memory of an adult talking to me about it. I'm just not sure if it is a real memory or not because it is blurry. Regardless, you never whined or complained or acted like you had a "disability". Reading this blog post now I could look back and think it was because you were afraid to be vulnerable; alternatively, I could look back and say it was because you were strong.I know that I never thought of you as "Jill, my blind friend," rather, you were "Jill, my funny friend who doesn't mind that I am weird." Sometimes as an afterthought I would remember that you had trouble seeing, but it was sort of the way that I would remember that a friend had a deceased sibling, or a friend had really bad asthma, or a friend had a dad who hit her, or a friend had divorced parents...sort of an afterthought, a piece of information, a "difference", about you or them, but certainly not part of an identity in my mind.
    And I won't say more than a sentence or two about this, because I don't want to sound like a peppy life coach full of empty platitudes....But look at all that you've accomplished! For all your worries and struggles with confidence and self-esteem and all that I'm reading here as I go through your blog...LOOK at you! And then quitting to follow a dream to become a poet...just wow. You make me proud. (Okay, that was more than 2 sentences. sorry.)
    I could probably right an entire book (or at least a very long essay) about vulnerability vs. self-protection, but I won't go into that all right now. I do struggle with those same issues. I don't want to be vulnerable. I want to be In Control. (Like the commenter above, I also stayed in a shitty marriage for years because I wanted to convince everyone, including myself, that it was *not* shitty.) I still have issues with it. I, too, have friends who encourage me to allow my vulnerability to show, who tell me that I need to reach out, who tell me that people want to help me. But I want to be in control. I want to handle it all. And above all, I want to protect myself. Because when you do allow yourself to show your vulnerability, you are opening yourself up to be hurt by others. I still haven't found that fine line to balance upon.
    I should probably write this on the actual blog post, but I'm too lazy. I have to walk with a cane, too, and I have issues with it as well. My cane and I have a love/hate relationship, so I think I understand just a little bit about where you're coming from when having to deal with an object that attracts attention and screams, "Look! I have a disability!" Again, could talk a lot about that but not here. :) I would love to talk to you more about all of these subjects...feel free to email me anytime.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your words of support and friendship!

    Special {{{snugs}}} to Alaina who I've known for, like, ever... but we've been out of contact a while. I love your fb posts ... they tell me so much about your life and it's so different from mine ... it's so interesting and ... I don't know if "adventurous" is the right word. But it's like you put your whole everything into every day. It is very interesting to hear your memories about me when we were kids. I was definitely NOT accepting of disability or blindness as part of my identity. I think it was a mix of not wanting to be vulnerable and also strength...I didn't really feel like I had a choice to be other than I was. I love your quote "Jill, my funny friend who doesn't mind that I am weird." Do you remember the mix-tapes, the notebooks passed back and forth? I still think about that stuff. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember. :) I'll one-up you...do you remember the red crocheted strangle string?? hehe

    I had typed out this long response in the wee hours of the morning but fell asleep before I was done...woke up, clicked on a different link, remembered I had been typing a response, but of course it was too late and it was gone. Arrrghhh. Ah well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

    xo

    ReplyDelete