Monday, April 2, 2012

The art of Barbara Dahlberg


So I went to my friend Barb's art opening yesterday, which was amazing. Here are some pics along with descriptions (that I felt were relevant) from her artist statement. The majority of the pieces were paintings or ink and watercolor pieces but my favorites were the shrines and this quilt. The pic is just a detail of the quilt...


[from artist statement]:
"This exhibit includes works in several different media and poems that either inspired the works or were written later. Represented are different styles and some of my personal history. Because both my parents died before I was 30, it has been important to preserve family stories.... "




"I made my first shrine, Children Cannot Fly, after my son Jesse's death eight years ago...."



"My love of nature and farm animals come from a childhood spent in the wilds of northern Minnesota and on my grandparents' dairy farm in Wisconsin."
















Barb's work is on display from now until the end of the month at the Undercroft Gallery at the First Unitarian Church on Morewood and Ellsworth in Shadyside.



No comments:

Post a Comment